The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 2 Cor 10:4
I woke up the other morning thinking about the powers of the divine spiritual realm that Satan tries to steal away. These are what came to mind:
1) First and foremost Satan does not want us to know how powerful Jesus and His Name are. By faith, we have come to know Jesus and His name in word, prayer, conversation, and supplication. This world steals It away as soon as It is said. To us It seems dead and lifeless, but there is a power as vast and infinite as the person It represents. Jesus and the power of His Name cause the blind to see, the deaf to hear, the lame to walk, and the dead to come to life again!
…that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth. Phil 2:10
2) God’s Word is so ridiculed, mocked, and persecuted that just in those things alone It seems to lose It’s power, but doesn’t history tell us that when persecution happens fuel is added to the fire? And fire is powerful! Look at the fire that was started in the apostles with the kindled persecution of the cross!
In this powerful way the word of the Lord was spreading and gaining strength. Acts 19:20
3) This leads specifically to the words of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is the most powerful of all of God’s word, and yet is the most hidden, even among many church sermons and messages.
God loved the world this way: He gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him will not die but will have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but to save the world. Those who believe in him won’t be condemned. But those who don’t believe are already condemned because they don’t believe in God’s only Son. This is why people are condemned… John 3:16-19
4) The enemy does not want us to recognize how powerful prayer is. Same thing as saying Jesus’ name. We pray and (usually) see no immediate results, sense nothing going on in the physical or spiritual realm, but, Oh my…when you read God’s word and see how powerful just a single righteous plea for help is…Boy! Watch out!
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. James 5:16
5) The enemy tries to steal away the power of baptism. You don’t hear baptism talked about much in most churches, and when it is, it is relegated to a choice or decision made by the recipient. Oh, if only God’s people would read His Word and listen and see! To those who have been called to arms in the Spirit of the Almighty Lord of hosts, baptism is powerful!
Baptism, which is like that water, now saves you. 1 Pet 3:21
6) The blood of Christ is another area of God’s power that tries to be secreted away from this earthly realm by the powers of darkness. The blood of Christ paid the price set by God Himself. How powerful is that?
..and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood. Rev 1:5
7) The devil specifically tries to steal away the power of the bread and wine/the body and blood. Communion is a mystery that cannot be fathomed and a power that cannot be fully comprehended this side of Heaven. We do recognize by God’s grace that it bestows the powerful key of forgiveness.
Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. John 6:53
8) Faith is another area that seems powerless…well, Jesus did say often, “Oh ye of little faith.”
through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Romans 5:2
9) Truth, in and of itself, pure and unadulterated, does not seem powerful, but Truth is what has driven this created world since the beginning of time, and will carry it through to the New Jerusalem.
on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. Matthew 16:18
10) Salvation is a word who’s power is often stolen away from the Christian. How often do we forget that we are a saved people by grace through faith? How often do we bear shame and guilt that has already been born on the cross?
Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: “Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. Rev 12:10
11) The power of righteousness tries to be stolen from the righteous. Righteousness is veiled. When we walk fully in the power of Jesus’ righteousness the light will blind even the dark. Thank God for the promise:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Psalm 37:6
12) The last and most marginalized of all, and yet most important, is the cross of Christ. There is a huge push in this country and it’s
mega churches to do away with the cross. “The cross is an offense!” is the battle cry, and therefore it must be done away with so that people will come into the church. A church without the cross of Christ leading the way is a church of demon haunts.
but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 1 Cor 1:23
And even yet I am encouraged and comforted by this reminder:
There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD. Proverbs 21:30
Father, though all the powers of this dark world come against us we shall prevail for You will it through Your Son! In Jesus’ name, Amen